Sunday, May 13, 2012

I LOVE JAANCHIES

I am linking up with Mosaic Monday   and Our World Tuesday

Happy Mother's Day, I hope everyone had a great day!!!

I hope you are not tired of hearing about my Curacao trip. But, this is post will be like a restaurant review and a bird trip report.

Jaanchies is a local island restaurant located in Westpunt, Curacao. I had read reviews on Trip Advisor before leaving home on this restaurant, so I knew exactly what to expect. I was going there to see Jaanchies birds. Boy, was I pleased, it is a quaint place with bird feeders hanging right outside the open air restaurant.

 The bird feeders are right next to the tables, it was hard taking my eyes off the birds to eat.


Jaanchie, the sweet owner came over and sat down at our table to tell us what is being served that day. There are no written menus.  Jaanchie took our order, hubby and I both ordered the shrimp and rice dish. Our meal also came with fries and salad. I was so busy watching the birds it was hard for me to eat but I did and it all tasted delicious. Jaanchie did give me a scolding for not finishing my plate of food, but that is what my hubby loves to do. Our service was great ...there was no long wait and we were very pleased our meal.


Birds were on every feeder and once in a while a bird would fly thru the open air restaurant.

There were so many Bananaquits, this is just one of the many feeders that was overflowing with birds.


 Above are the Bare-eyed Pigeons and a Bananaquit, they are common birds in Curacao.


I do not think I have ever had Orioles and the other birds come so close to me, these birds were also being fed sugar. They must all be addicted to sugar, kind of like my hubby who has the sweet tooth.

Above, you can see the Troupial Orioles with sugar all over their beaks. I knew the hummingbirds and the orioles love the sugar water but this is raw sugar and they love it.


This is Yellow Oriole is the Trupial Kacho.

After finishing our meal Jaanchie came over to tell us he had a special treat for us, it was ice cream (kind of like an ice sandwich) with a sauce. I was happy because it gave me more time to watch the birds. Before leaving the restaurant, Jaanchie gave me a colorful carved parrot. A souvenir to remember our visit to Jaanchies. Jaanchies was a fun dining experience, if you are ever in Curacao I highly recommend this restaurant.



So a list the birds we saw at Jaanchies were: lots of Troupials, lots of Trupical Kacho, Bare-eyed pigeons and many more Bananaquits. Outside of the restaurant were chickens and we saw some more green parakeets.

To see more wonderful post and mosaics please visit Mosaic Monday  and more great post
can be seen at Our World Tuesday.

Thanks to Mary for hosting Mosaic Monday and to the hosting group at Our World Tuesday. Also thanks, I appreciate all the visits and comments. I wish everyone a safe and happy week ahead.

42 comments:

  1. i certainly would have had a hard time not watching those birds, too. what a cool sounding place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day to you too! I bet it was noisy there. What a fun way to be entertained during your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying your trip to Curacao! I don't think I would have been interested in eating -- too busy watching the birds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of place! How exciting to see these birds eating along side of you.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited St. Lucia this winter and had the birds visiting in the open restaurant. The restaurant staff were not pleased with the visitors, but I thought they were wonderful. Great shots of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting restaurant! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool that the birds hung around. So pretty, too! Sounds like a perfect place for you to have a meal and see such beautiful birds up so close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool restaurant! I would have trouble taking my eyes (and camera) off the birds too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your photos are stunning. I just love all the color!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to see all the different birds! You have presented us with an amazing array of them - I have really enjoyed seeing them all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a unique restaurant! It must have been a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a trip you have had. A lovely place to visit so many and unusual birds to look at (at least to me). Have a fine week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really nice journey for you. And, there were lots and lots of birds, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy...I could sit there for hours watching the birds dining along with me!! And....love the cabana in the sunlight header too.

    TEXAS SAGE BLOSSOM

    Happy week ahead wishes to you...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd be too distracted to eat watching all those birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an unusual dining experience! I don't think I would be able to stop watching them either!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love this place! Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing place! I can't begin to think of anywhere that would be more fun to eat. (Or not eat, I'd probably forget to eat too.) The birds are great and so many....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Their names are wonderful and the birds themselves are so colorful. What a uniquely fun thing to do while on your trip. No photos of the food? =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. They were there to greet you.

    You were special to them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed seeing the pretty birds and always enjoy reading about your travels - thanks for sharing. The birds are probably use to the restaurant customers being so close.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never tire of seeing photos of birds, Eileen! I;m glad you got to see them up close.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful treat to be among those lovely birds. The owner seemed so nice. That's good service. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  24. A truly stunning and highly unusual post, Eileen. A carved parrot ... what a lovely memento ... and I love your sunny photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi There, I'm trying to catch up after being gone for a week.

    Love your header, Eileen... WOW---what a beautiful place.

    I love the 'local' places like Jaanchies.... AND---like you, I'd be busy watching all of the little birds. How neat!!!!!

    Great pictures.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I will never ever get tired of your Curacao trip Eileen. I've always enjoyed your travels and superb photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fantastic place and such gorgeous birds!! I have so enjoyed the photos from your trip and, no, I'll certainly never tire of them either! How fun to eat with the birds!! I love it! Hope you have a lovely week, Eileen! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  28. They're all so colourful!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's a pleasure seeing the fantastic shots from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great series of shots, this feder is very popular with the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  31. How amazing an environment.


    Please have a good Tuesday.


    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Terrific captures for the post.
    Happy Mothers Day to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This sounds right up my alley. Love the pics and the whole...there's no menu....best kinds of places:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow, so much beautiful birds, and love the emotions you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh now this would be a great place, everything you want right before you and also while you eat, nice entertainment;')

    ReplyDelete
  36. dinner and a show, my kinda show!! oh eileen, this sounds like such a wonderful trip, i LOVE vacation entries. it's wonderful that you share your experiences just as you are, a little at a time!! i am really enjoying it!!

    the birds there are just gorgeous, what a thrilling place for you to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I´m not tired, just envy. I´d love to have all of them around me.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a sight! Loved going through your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  39. how lovely to be surrounded by such lovely birds as you eat!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This sounds like a very special experience! I'm envious, because, even though it was a Dutch colony for a long time, I've never been there!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "Sometimes miracles are just good people with kind hearts." Rick's Cafe, N...